update on self portraits



Do you know about my superfun online drawing course? Well, I'm the instructor of the course and you can register here, and read about all the fun if you click here.
'Just Draw it!'
Take your drawing skills to the next level in 6 weeks for only $99
Click here to register now!




I'm still having fun drawing self portraits. Is it weird to draw myself almost every day?I guess, in the process of learning, it's okay. And anyway: it's okay to be weird!

I took a photo with wide angle and then drew the portrait. The wide angle causes strange proportions, but I can't blame the placement of the eyes (way too high and also too far apart from each other) on the camera. It was me, not the technology.

I took a photo again, a bit further away so the wide angle wouldn't influence the proportions. I learned it's best to light the face from one side so you get clear shadows. They will define the structure of the face. I totally like this technique with pencil, eraser and blending stick! Although this is still not exactly me... but never mind that.

On sunday morning I was up early, put a chair in front of the open window and placed a mirror in front of me. Sunbathing and drawing at the same time: Nice. As you can see, I was squinting because of the sunlight. I've done a lot of erasing of the nose and mouth because I just couldn't get it right. But there's not so much likeness anyway. Still - I did draw a self portrait from a mirror again, which I find a lot harder to do than from a photo.

Labels: , , ,