3 things NOT to do for your creative habit

So the other day I had a conversation with someone who loves to draw but doesn't seem to get into the habit. As with every habit, you may need to push yourself a little bit before it becomes something that you have implemented in your life or schedule.
 
Here's 3 tips for you to give you a little (and maybe much needed) kick-in-the-pants:
 
1. Don't make it any bigger than it is with thoughts like: "I want to draw. I really should draw. I should make time to draw. I should pack my drawing things and then go and draw".
That first thought: Yes!!
The ones that follow, though - boo! As soon as you feel the need to draw: do it! There's always a pen around -grab it! And even if you don't have a sketchbook lying around, grab something to draw on - it could simply be the back of an envelope! 
And draw.
 
2. Don't make the subject too important. Are you really expecting to sit down and make a masterpiece? Do you really have to find a very specific subject?
Honestly, I think you're simply procrastinating!
Simply draw stuff that's lying around. as soon as you feel that urge or have the thought: I want to draw: don't go look for things, just draw what's there.In the drawing below, I drew my husbands little black old suitcase that's filled with all sorts of stuff he uses for his music and instruments.


I had this other conversation with someone else, who said she caught herself being a total couch potato lately. Well I don't blame you if you show any of that lazy couch potato symptoms - we all have busy schedules and at the end of the day there's not much energy left!
But to nurture that creative habit of yours - you can still squeeze in a drawing. It's not like it's as hard as getting your butt off the couch and out to the gym or something... no it's a fantastic way to wind down and to relax!
3. Don't forget drawing is something you love doing
Whether you take just 5 minutes or longer - either way it's rewarding and very satisfying too.


Labels: , ,